Microsoft means well, and updates are good, but I want to be in control of when my computer reboots, dammit. Not in the middle of a VoIP call, or me watching a movie.
Steps to put a stop to this forced reboot countdown craziness:
1. Press Control + Escape
2. Type “cmd”
3. Right click “cmd.exe” icon
4. Click the run as Administrator choice at the bottom of the screen
5. At the prompt in the command window that opens, type: “net stop wuauserv” To stop the windows update service.
Next type regedt to open your registry editor. Be very careful editing the registry.
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Policies \Microsoft\Windows \WindowsUpdate\AU
- Right click and create a new DWORD Value named “NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers” (without the quotes)
- Double-click this new value and set the Value data to 1
Reboot at your leisure.